We are working with 16 organisations to deliver Leicester Ageing Together, a programme funded by the Big Lottery Fund, aimed at reducing social isolation amongst older people.
The programme is focused on the wards of Belgrave, Evington, Thurncourt, Spinney Hills and Wycliffe, selected through the prevalence of risk factors associated with social isolation which have been identified by older people.
There is also citywide delivery to African Caribbean older people, older people with hearing loss, those who find it difficult to leave their homes and those returning home from hospital.
Throughout the programme, we will work with over 6,000 people, training and developing over 1,000 volunteers through a workforce development programme.
We are also collecting data on each and every person that we work with, and will use this to inform both local and national evaluations.
Our aspirations for the programme...
- Older people feel less isolated
- Older people are actively involved in their communities, with their views valued more highly
- Older people feel more engaged in the design and delivery of services that help reduce isolation
- Services are better planned, coordinated and delivered
- Better evidence is available to influence services that help reduce isolation for older people in the future