Pakistan Youth & Community Association (PYCA)
Pakistan Youth & Community Association was established in 1993 and is situated in Highfields, a heavily populated, multi-ethnic yet socially deprived area of Leicester.
Social EngAGEment Programme
This project engages and supports older people who are isolated and suffering multiple deprivations, providing them with improved opportunities for the development of life skills, skills sharing and improved integration achieved through a programme of support, training, advice, counselling, guidance and advocacy.
The project involves:
- Training in IT and social networking, providing a new way of communicating both locally and worldwide, putting people in touch with like-minded older people and also with family members and friends
- Helping to older people connect with different communities by holding open days and events, themed on different aspects of learning, health and wellbeing
- Relaxation and yoga sessions, guided walks and outings to improve health and contribute to social cohesion
- Provides open days, drop-ins and activities
- Recruiting young and older volunteers to act as Community Champions, encouraging older people into the programme
This project is being delivered in Spinney Hills and Wycliffe.